Samuel Ogle came from Wilmington, Delaware, with his family to this state in 1818 and bought much land from the government. He wanted neighbors and gave farms to relatives to induce them to come from Delaware to this state.
In 1833 Samuel Ogle built a commodious brick house of nine rooms, large halls and attic with cellar under. He burned the brick for the house in a field back of that house and the rooms were each 15 by 15 feet., with a large fireplace in each room. The windows were medium size and contained 20 panes of glass apiece (note: photos show that upstairs they were 8 over 12, while the downstairs windows were 12 over 12, or 24 panes total).
The floors were heavy oak planks, the joists were oak and many of the 195 nails were hand made. The rafters for the ceilings were made of saplings and some had bark left on two sides (and were) fastened together by wooden pegs.
In 1896, the house, barn and other buildings were wrecked by a terrible cyclone but the family of nine persons escaped death or injury by going into the cellar. The heavy oak floors downstairs were left on the foundation and the grandson who lived there at that time, Eugene Benton Ogle, built a new house on the old stone foundation. This farm is high, about 21 miles from the foot of the bluffs and is 10 miles from St. Louis, Missouri.
Original size: 1431x1092 |
Current: 800x610 |